1925 Trial run to Browns Island

1925 7th July        
Toroa’s trial run to Brown’s Island reported in the Auckland Star. Mr. Matthew Scott was Master, in the presence of a number of other captains.  The ferry put up an excellent performance, averaging slightly under eleven and a half knots over a measured mile with and against the tide. Mr. Ewen Alison stated that her tonnage was greater than that of any ferry steamer yet built at Auckland, while her bottom was sheathed in pure copper. Nothing had been left undone in an effort to produce a first-class vessel. [This copper, an indication of the quality of construction of the vessel, was to cause problems over the years and decades.]