Toroa Facts & Figures
The Toroa, the last of the Albatross-type double-ended steam passenger ferries to be built, operated on the Waitemata Harbour between the city of Auckland and the North Shore, mostly on the Devonport run opposite the Makora, replacing The Peregrine.
||George Niccol, ship owner & ship builder, St Mary’s Bay, Auckland, New Zealand. Ironwork by the Senior Foundry. Machinery installed by H.M. Warner, Quay Foundry, Auckland|
|OWNER||Devonport Steam Ferry Company Limited|
|LAUNCHED||28th April 1925|
|DECOMMISSIONED||8th August 1980|
130.75 ft 31.4 ft
|ARRANGEMENT||Two-decked, double-ended ferry—propeller, rudder & wheelhouse at each end|
|CONSTRUCTION||Composite: 3-inch (76mm) kauri (Agathis australis) timber planking bolted to steel bulb-angle framing, with steel bulkheads and main-deck beams.
|ENGINE||Triple-expansion steam engine, by Aitcheson, Blair Ltd, Clydebank, Scotland.
Stroke 21 in (533 mm); bore 12, 20 & 32 in (305, 508 & 813 mm).
Nominal horse power 51; brake horse power 350
|BOILER||Coal-fired ‘Scotch’ marine type, by A. & W. Dalglish, West of Scotland Boiler Works, Pollokshaws, Glasgow. Twin Morrison furnaces. Rivetted construction. Operating pressure 180 psi (12.4 bar; 1241 kpa).
|PROPELLERS||Gunmetal, four-bladed. Diameter 6 ft (1.83 m); pitch 9 ft (2.74 m), adjustable. One at each end, shafts directly coupled to each end of the engine crankshaft.
|SPEED||11.25 knots at trials|
||Crew: Four—skipper, deck-hand, engineer, stoker
Passengers: 1221 river limits (enclosed water limits) ; 682 extended river limits (inshore water limits)
Above: Arrangement plan for Toroa‘s Scottish-made machinery, all under Job No.149
Top: General arrangement of the new ferry for the DSFCo