The ferries Takapuna, Makora and Toroa taken over by Leo Dromgoole’s North Shore Ferries Ltd., and continue on the Devonport–Auckland run. Joined in 1961 by the revamped MV Kestrel with glassed-in upper decks. Kestrel had been converted from steam propulsion to diesel in 1951. Toroa also continues to be used for weekend trips and charters.
Toroa passing under the completed Harbour Bridge on a charter cruise
Photo: Hooker Bowden, Stewart Family Collection